Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Time for transition. . .


This is a picture of the Closing Ceremonies at the Olympic Stadium (can't take credit for this one, it's from the Torino 2006 website!). I wasn't at the closing ceremonies, I was taping them in our technology area. It was sort of surreal – I was watching the fireworks on the screen, but feeling and hearing them at the same time. It’s hard to believe that the Olympic Games are over already!

But, that doesn’t mean it’s all over. Ever since closing ceremonies, we have been in a transition phase from Olympics to Paralympics. Most of the operations will be the same, albeit in a smaller scale. We have 55 American athletes with disabilities that are coming to Torino to compete in the Paralympic Winter Games from March 10-19. There will be over 500 athletes with disabilities from 41 different countries competing in 4 unique sports (alpine skiing, Nordic skiing, sled hockey and wheelchair curling). So, my time in Italy is counting down to March 22 (after packing up is done for Paralympics). I've added a link to the U.S. Paralympic website for yall to learn more about it.

After all our Olympians depart and before our Paralympians arrive and we start working the Paralympic Games, I am hoping to take a trip to somewhere else in Italy. I’ll know more in the next couple of days, so please stay tuned for more posts!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen,

Thanks for all the postings and seeing the Olympics through your eyes. It was fun! Have a great time the rest of your time in Italy and safe trip home.

Rob

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen....
It's Andrea..in Raceland....I wanted to thank you for allowing me to view the Olympics and Torino & surrounding area, through your eyes...Your writing is soooo witty and wonderful...it allowed me to enjoy the games as if I were right there with you...and I re-lived my trip to Italy with every bite of food you described..and wine you sipped..and there was alot of both !!! :)I'm so proud of you....please have a safe journey home after the Paralympics...I'll stay tuned !!! Much Love !!! Andrea

Karen said...

Yes, there will be an opening and closing ceremony for the Paralympic Games, albeit a much smaller version. I'll try to give more commentary about the Games itself during the Paralympics than I did for the Olympics since I know coverage will be minimal back in the States.

Karen said...

Hey Andrea!
I'm so glad you're following along on the blog. It's hard living away from home and being out of "the loop" so it's great to know at least yall are in my "loop"!! Where did yall go when you came to Italy? I heard it was quite romantic and that "congratulations" is in order!