Monday, February 06, 2006

Cruisin Torino


Even though the weather wasn't cooperating, I still had a great day of sightseeing around Torino. I walked around the city quite a bit trying to get my bearings. For those of you who flew with me, you know that I have no sense of direction whatsoever, so it's always helpful for me to walk around a city and get my own grid going in my head. I made my way over to the USA House for their semi-opening. Every country leases a "house" for their athletes and sponsors where they can just hang out. Victory celebrations, press conferences, interviews, and marketing events all take place here. The food is always amazing and at the USA House here in Italy, there is great coffee and wine available too! This picture of me was taken by my coworker Peter at the USA House sitting in front of a mural by Kodak of our bobsled team.

The next stop was the Mole Antonelliana (pronounced mole ay). It's one of the original symbols of Torino and is a prominent landmark in the city's skyline. The tip is 550 feet high and the building as a whole houses the Museum of Cinema. It's amazing how many American movies were filmed in Italy. There was especially a lot of memorabilla from the "Spaghetti Westerns" back in the day! My dad loved Westerns, so I have fond memories of watching them growing up. There's a glass panoramic elevator that takes you to the balcony 85 meteres above the city. The picture on the left is the city from that balcony. The one on the right is of the Mole from street level at dusk. Another place that was on my walking tour was the Valentino Castle. It was the palace of the Savoy dynasty that was constructed in the 1500s. The reason I mention this one is because this may have been home to my relatives! My grandmother was a Savoie, or Savoy, originating from France or Italy. Although controversial according to my Aunt Cynthia, my family may be the offspring of a bastard child of the Duke of Savoy!! So, this palace may have been home at some point!!! Figures I may be from the lineage of an illegitimate child, huh?!

OK, that's all I've got for now! Mom, I hope I didn't embarass you with all this talk of illegitimate kids, but you know I get a kick out of this stuff!! I'll write more tomorrow. Caio!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't see any hockey pictures yet...I'm glad you are having fun but I'm pretty jealous as well. Tell everyone there I said hello and that I have a passport in case they need some last minute help.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Torino tour--great pictures! That no-sense of direction thing must come from sitting backwards in the darkened tube! Rob

Karen said...

Joe, just for you I'm gonna do my best to make it to a hockey game while I'm here! I'll post pictures if I do. Feel proud and know that you contributed to some of the successes that will happen over the next few weeks.

Karen said...

Rob, you would think that after all these years out of the dark tube, I should've been able to shed the "mushroom syndrome!" Thanks for following my blog!

Karen said...

Thanks Mom!