Saturday, February 11, 2006

Let the Games begin!


The flame is lit and the Games have begun! As I write this, I am taping the women's hockey game and long track speedskating 5000m event. The tickets to the opening ceremonies last night ranged in price from 250-850 euros ($300-$1000), so I opted to view the "live feed" at the USA House. Not quite the same feel as the toga party we had in Athens for the Opening Ceremony of the Summer Games, but it was still fun. It was a small, but lively group. I hate when people name-drop, so we'll just say there were some well-known former Olympians at the party also! The best, and worst, thing about the "live feed" is that there is no commentary. It's what you would be seeing if you were at the event. So it's great in the sense that there are no interuptions in coverage to give background information about the athletes or the event. But, that's also a drawback during the times you would like a little background information! Even though we were lost through parts of the ceremony, we heard from athletes and staff who were there that they were a little lost too, so we didn't feel so bad! Even though we could see the fireworks outside from where we were, I didn't take this great picture of the stadium. I would love to take credit for it, but it wouldn't be right (and illegal!). It's actually the Kodak "photo of the day."

I'll leave you with this picture of me and my friend Terri at the opening ceremony party at the USA House. I'll get back to work, but I hope yall watch the coverage of the Games back in the States tonight.

No comments: