Friday, February 10, 2006

Sestriere


On Wednesday, the Sport Science & Technology staff here in Torino made a trek up the mountain (OK, actually a van ride on a toll road!) up to Sestriere to meet with the rest of our staff for a meeting and training. The Italian Alps were amazing up close - freezing, but amazing!! As I kept commenting (alright, I was complaining!) about the frigid temperatures, I was reminded that we are here for the Winter Olympics!!

The views from anywhere in the town of Sestriere is stunning and you can see quite a few of the downhill competition runs from just about any part of town. The municipality of Sestriere is at the foot of Mount Sises and surrounded by Mounts Banchetta and Fraiteve. Sestriere is actually made up of four small towns and became a ski resort in the 1930s.


The village is quite colorful and has a definite "ski resort" feel to it (or so I'm told!). Even though I live at the foot of the Rocky Mountains, the Alps took my breath away everytime I turned a corner or looked out a window. Our staff is split up between the mountain and ice venues in order to better accomodate the needs of our athletes. It was great to see the mountain venues and get a feel for the set-up up there. And the bonus of the day. . . a nutella crepe (yall know I had to mention food!).

Ciao for now!

No comments: