Saturday, August 12, 2006

Pergola test drive

Today, I had a few friends over for a BBQ under the new pergola. Because I planned a BBQ and because I washed my motorcycle this morning, of course it rained. Not only did it rain, it poured! Somehow, I fit 9 adults and 3 kids into my little house. It rained pretty hard for about an hour, then left as abruptly as it rolled in. We were able to move the party back to under the pergola for dessert! I wish I would've gotten a few pics when the rain was coming down, but I didn't think about it since we were all busy eating!

This is Dave's last day in Colorado Springs, he will leave at the butt-crack of dawn tomorrow morning to start the drive back to Oklahoma City. For his last night, I took him to Michelle's Ice Cream shop and he indulged in Philip's favorite- the volacano (ice cream with the flaming sugar cube on top!). In true Torino style, he ate the sugar cube while it was still on fire!

I can't believe a whole week has already passed. The pergola was a bonus by-product of our hours of visiting. Being one of the few from my Navy circle of friends that is not still in the military, I feel a bit left out of the loop sometimes. Quite a bit of my family have been making the journey northward to see me, but it's not so often my Navy buddies are able to break away from their lives for a visit. There are precious few friends that we make during our lives that stay for more than one semester or a duty station. When you do make those connections, I think it's important to invest time into keeping those bonds strong. I'm so glad that I'm still considered part of their families and worth a 10 hour drive- thanks Dave!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess I'll have to go into business now! Karen is my agent, maybe with a percentage. It's a good reason to buy that truck now. Too bad I had to come back to the over 100 degree heat in Oklahoma.