Friday, October 05, 2007

Virginia Beach

I'm in the process of packing up my house and office for my relocation (I'll post on that later!), so I'm way behind on the happenings in my hectic life. Four days after I got back from New England, I got on a plane headed for the east coast again. This time it was business and I was headed to Virginia Beach, VA to work with the women's Field Hockey Team. In true Karen-fashion, I arrived in Virginia Beach two days before I needed to be there in order to do a little sightseeing.




One of the best side-benefits of being in the Navy for two tours was that I made friends who are now strewn across the U.S. There aren't many towns I can roll into that I don't have an old shipmate's number in my cell phone. As luck would have it, Virginia Beach was one of the duty stations of my Navy nurse friend Stephanie (see previous post to see what she's doing now!). So I pull over in my rental car and call Steph on my cell phone.



Steph, I'm in Virginia Beach and I want some good seafood. Any suggestions?


Where are you exactly?


I just passed Fort Story on Shore Drive.


Are you kidding me? I still own a house just a couple of miles from there!! Keep driving along Shore Drive and right before the Lynnhaven Bridge, take a left and go to a place called "Chick's Oyster Bar". All the locals go there, you'll love it.


I pull up and immediately know that this is going to be some good food. I sat out on the back dock and had the most amazing blue crab crab cakes I've ever eaten! They were grilled, not fried and were so moist and had that distinctive blue crab sweetness that it didn't need any type of sauce or dip. Scrumptious I tell you! Sorry about not having pictures of the crab cakes. Sometimes it doesn't feel right to whip out my camera and start snapping pictures of my food. This was one of those times, so you'll just have to use your imagination!

I sat on the back deck which was a docking pier and enjoyed the sunset over a scene that could've been along any bayou in South Louisiana. Man do I love coastlines!!!!

Unfortunately, the weather turned chilly (figures!) and it wasn't such good beach weather. No worries, I'll drive the 3 hours up to Washington, DC to do a little sightseeing on my day off!

No comments: