Sunday, October 07, 2007

Washington, DC

Wow, what a sightseeing day this turned out to be! I was a little hesitant to take the rental car all the way into DC since I had heard how horrible it was to park a car there. I had been to DC a few times in the past, but I hadn't driven. The last time was when I was running the Marine Corp Marathon in 2003, so there were a lot of new things to see.



I drove straight to Arlington Cemetary and parked the car there for the day. Arlington is always such a grounding experience, especially watching the guards at the tomb of the unknown soldiers. It was a beautiful, though crisp day, so I hung out and waited for the changing of the guard. I was so caught up in the whole experience that I just about jumped out of my skin when I heard someone's cell phone ring shattering the silence. Then the realization hit me, IT WAS MINE! Not only is my ringtone a country song (Summertime), it's on loud because I'm a little hard of hearing and I have a hard time hearing the ring. As I rip my purse open and start scrambling around for the offensive electronic device, my ringtone gets through a full verse before I put my fingers on it and hold down the off button in horror. So, I'm usually the one who glares at a person who's cell phone goes off at an inappropriate time, and now it was me. I wanted to shrivel up and disappear in embarassment. Especially as a veteran at such a revered event on hallowed ground. The universe sometimes has the most effective ways of reminding us that we are all human and make mistakes and that none of us are perfect. . . OK, lesson learned!!!



As I recovered from my humbling experience, I walked around the grounds (with cell phone firmly OFF), I ended up at the Women's Military Memorial. If you ever find yourself at this memorial on the edge of Arlington Cemetary, you have to go in and check out the computer registry. I registered a few years ago, so I pulled up my profile inside. What a strange feeling to be in such a historical place and see my own face and military career summary on a big screen on the wall! If you know any female veterans, make sure you get them registered in this living history data bank.



Just across the Potomic River is the National Mall with all the memorials and government buildings (map). The first memorial you come to after crossing the bridge is the Lincoln Memorial. At the top of the stairs, you can look out across the reflecting pool and see clear down to the top of the Capitol behind the Washington Monument.



From there, I walked through the Korean War Memorial with it's larger than life soldier sculptures walking through a field. Directly across the Reflection Pool is the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial. Just as when I saw this black granite wall for the first time, I teared up. As I gazed at so many names on the wall, I had to choke back a sob as I recalled one name I am so grateful that isn't up there. My Pyran (Cajun for Godfather) Wayne served in Vietnam and made it home where he met the hippie who's had a profound effect on my personality, my Aunt Ruth. I'm so glad this memorial was put here for us to remember, both the fallen and the ones who returned.



The same could be said for all the memorials in DC, especially for the World War II Memorial finally built just a few years ago. It's a majestic tribute to those who both participated and were devestated by WWII that's flanked on each side with columns representing the Atlantic and Pacific theaters of operation. Tall pillars all around the memorial represent each of the states and territories.



The last memorial on my foot tour was the U.S. Navy Memorial. Somehow I had missed this one on previous visits. The statue Lone Sailor stands watch on a granite 100-foot diameter map of the world. Water taken from all seven seas cycle through the fountain pools at the foot of the map.



You may notice that the White House was not part of my tour. That's because I had already gotten a great tour back in 2000 by Whit when he was stationed there!



All told, at the end of my walking tour, I had covered a little over 7 miles. With so much walking, I had worked up an appetite and it was time to meet a shipmate for dinner.



I call him a shipmate, but he was actually my Commanding Officer when I was in VQ-2. I have to admit that even after being a civilian for a decade, it's still weird to call my old skipper by his first name!! I had tracked down Rob a little over a year ago to send him a thank you note. On a flight back from a det to Souda Bay a little over 10 years ago, he took the time to discuss my plans for the future with me and encouraged me to follow my college degree seeking aspirations. I've said many times that I have been very fortunate both in the military and as a civilian to have had some strong mentors and advisors. Rob was one of those, so I sent him an email letting him know that his decision to let me out of the Navy a few months early turned out to be a great decision and that I had turned out alright. I'm sure he usually hears about his sailors who have gotten out and haven't done so well for themselves, so I wanted him to hear from someone who had taken advantage of all the opportunities the Navy had opened up for her and was fairly successful in her career.



We met up at a tapas restaurant called Las Tapas where we had a nostalgic (and authentic tasting) meal reminiscent of our Rota, Spain days. I love catching up with old shipmates to see where their paths took them after the duty station we shared. I especially love catching up with those who's paths turned out to be very successful as Rob's had.



After dinner, I made an uneventful drive back down to Virginia Beach where I finally did a little work on this trip! Since my return to Colorado Springs, I have been swimming in work, both professionally and personally. I'll post later and catch you up on those! As always, thanks for checking in!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen,

These posts are great! I enjoyed the New England photos and links since it's a trip down memory lane for me. And, nice photos from your day in DC--it was great weather that day.

It was fun seeing you that day and catching up. Glad you enjoyed Las Tapas! Good luck with the move. Reminds me of this past summer with boxes all over the place!

Rob

Anonymous said...

I have been running behind with reading your blog.....Work has also taken me away but I have returned this week for audits. I wish that we could have been with you in Washington....Pyran, Paw Guy and I walked that track many times during our stay there....Even though Paw Guy was 85 during our visit he never missed a step....Many people stopped him and shook his hand and said Thanks...It was the weekend of the WWII Memorial opening. We took him again this year to his reunion up in Camp Perry, Ohio. There aren't many of the "Old Guys" left... but believe it or not he meant up with a fellow soldier he hadn't seen since being on the ship together in the Pacific in 1942. They are so cute together looking out for each other. He was a medic and is now a retired Physician.

We will keep taking Paw Guy to these reunions as long as he is able to go. I have great pictures for you to see and many stories that I know you'll enjoy...Good luck with the move...As always I love you much! Aunt Ruth