Friday, October 19, 2007

Pikes Peak and Road Trip

The last 8 days have been beyond hectic.

Friday (Oct 12): full day at work, fly out to Los Angeles at 5:30 p.m.. for a High Performance summit with beach volleyball players

Saturday (Oct 13): full day of presentations and individual sessions, team dinner

Sunday (Oct 14): morning of presentations and individual sessions, arrive at airport for scheduled 5:30 pm flight. Several delays and two airport meals later, we arrive in Denver too late to catch the last flight to Colorado Springs. We rent a car and drive in the rain from Denver to colorado Springs and arrive at home finally at 1:00 a.m.

Monday (Oct 15): day starts at 9:00 a.m. with the women's national water polo team training camp. Pack up most of my office.

Tuesday (Oct 16): full day of meetings that end at around 6:30 p.m. Finish packing office and bring to transportation to be taken to Chula Vista.

Wednesday (Oct 17): arrive at OTC at 5:15 p.m. for team building hike up Pikes Peak. Realize i don't know where my purse is, assume it's in my office and think to myself that I'll look in my office when we get back from the hike. 6.5 miles into the hike, we find ourselves at Bar Camp at 10,000 ft. Half the group decides to continue on to Pikes Peak and the other half of us hang out at Bar Camp to wait for the cog railway up to the summit. We played Pictionary and hung out in the warm cabin as the snow began to fall. The summit team is forced to turn around due to weather and the cog train picks them up to join us on the ride down. It was 16 degrees F with 40 mph wind gusts at the summit. We get back down to the Springs around 5:30 p.m. Go to my office to pick up my purse. It's not there! Tear apart my office, the room where the presentation was on Tuesday night, my car, my house and every path between all these. Give up the search and go home to finish painting. Get to bed around 10:30 p.m. after a mini melt-down.

Thursday (Oct 18): Cancel all appointments for the day and spend the day contacting security and lost & founds on complex. Realize the purse won't turn up and start to cancel credit and debit cards and change PINs and website passwords (all in my purse because I was moving). Borrow a truck, donate bed and VW Fox. Hire cleaning lady (finally admitted I just don't have time to do it myself) and get repairman over to my house to do check-up on furnace for the winter. Finish packing up house. Pack Harley and move to Suzanne & David's house.

Friday (Oct 19): Go into work by 7:00 a.m. and start meeting with athletes at 8:00 a.m. Go to DMV to get new driver's license. 12:00-3:30 p.m. team building with co-workers. 4:00 p.m. get call from post office. Somone put my purse in a mail deposit box and they have it for me to pick up. Say very quick goodbye to few co-workers I run into on my way out the door as I run out to the post office. $100 in cash in purse was stolen, everything else in purse still there (including now cancelled credit and debit card and driver's license!) Have dinner in the evening with riding friends and here I sit updating you on why I haven't been in touch with friends and family! Sorry that i don't have any pictures to accompany this story, but my laptop is on it's way to California!

Tomorrow morning the road trip starts. I've decided to leave later in the morning so I can catch up on some much needed rest and so it'll warm up for the ride. The first segment of the road trip adventure will be from here to Sante Fe, New Mexico. The weather at that point will determine where I go from there.

Stay tuned for the road trip. . .

No comments: