Tuesday, September 25, 2007

New England triathlon: Chowda, Beeuh & Lobsta

I love to travel and I love to eat! Lucky for you (or unlucky since you can only experience these things virtually!) I love to post about them! We saw a t-shirt in Boston that summarized our culinary pursuits throughout the trip (clam chowder, locally brewed beer and lobster rolls).



Upon our arrival to Boston, we made a beeline to the harbor for some clam chowder. On a recommendation, we went to the No Name Seafood restaurant (yep, that's really its name!) located at the Boston Fish Pier. As I excitedly dug into my steaming bowl of chowder, I was disappointed at the bland spoonful of thickness that greeted my taste buds. It reminded me of poorly made biscuit gravy. Although disappointed in the chowder and the similarly bland calamari we sampled, I soldiered on and dug into the scallops I had ordered. What a pleasant surprise!!! Tender and delicious, we've struck foodie gold here folks!!!



Even though I was excited about the tasty scallops, I was determined to experience a true New England clam chowder before I left the east coast. One of the stops along the Freedom Trail (for us anyway) was a bar/restaurant called Cheers. Yep, it was the same bar from the popular TV show, but this was not the original location (Norm was nowhere to be found!). We ducked in for a beer and bite to eat while we penned post cards home. Hey look, there's clam chowder on the menu. I'll give it another shot while we're still in Boston. Yummmmmmy! Even though I'm not from the north-east, I have a strong suspicion that this is what New England clam chowder is supposed to taste like! And that Samual Adams sure went well with it!


The route back to the hotel was lined with shopping establishments of every sort. Larry was pretty excited about the "Life is Good" and Patagonia stores! Hey, what do I see up there between the purses and clothing stores? It's an ice cream shop called JP Licks!! Not only was my hot fudge sundae scrumptious, we got to sit in a teacup while we enjoyed our frozen desserts!



OK, so now I've had the chowda and beeuh, I've just got to have a lobster roll to complete the triathlon. On Joe's recommendation, we had dinner at the Red Parrot while in Newport, RI.
In the picture, I'm eating this restaurant's version of a lobster roll minus the bacon (lobster salad, Roma tomatoes, and fresh field greens on a toasted basil focaccia).
With our culinary tour complete, I came back to Colorado Springs for all of three days before I boarded a plane and headed back to the east coast. Now that I've gotten yall caught up to two weekends ago, I'll start posting on my trip to Virginia Beach and Washington, DC.
Until then, thanks checking in!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry Sis that we haven't been commenting on your blog. There is just so much info at one time that by the time I finish reading them, I have run out of time to comment. I always look forward to reading them. It is just like you said about reading the book. It takes you there without physically being there. This trip seemed so beautiful! Loved the picture with the lighthouse! One question though...Did the food rank high enough to be on the top ten list to eat before you die? Love ya and miss ya! Monica

Karen said...

Don't feel like yall have to comment everytime I post! This blog is meant to keep my family and friends up to date on what's going on in my life and to help me to deal with living so far away from everyone!

Although the food was good, nothing I ate on the east coast would bump off any of the foods listed on my "10 foods to eat before you die" list!!!