Monday, September 03, 2007

Beach!

I hope everyone reading this has had a great Labor Day weekend. I can't believe that summer is over. It seems like my bones just got thawed out and I'm already feeling a little nip in the night air here in Colorado.

Not to worry though, work took me back down to Southern California last week where summer is still in full swing. It was a very productive week for me professionally speaking. In between work, I managed to get myself up into Old Town San Diego and spend an evening with Whit & Kathie and some of their family for a BBQ. One of the best things about moving to San Diego is that Whit & Kathie are already there!

I also managed to make a couple of trips to Coronado with some colleagues. Thursday night, Terri took Adam and I to a great Italian restaurant right on the water. I won't say much more about that since I'll do another foodie post for that evening!

The beach sunsets were breathtaking and the San Diego skyline quite majestic. I love light reflections dancing on a moving night current. The sight always brings my soul back to Lake Fields at my grandparents camp when I was a kid. I'd lay in my bed on the screened in back porch listening to the cricket and frog chorus while watching a distant boat running light skipping across the lake. Always followed by gentle waves lapping against the wharf. . .

OK, back to San Diego! Saturday morning before my flight back to Colorado Springs, we drove up to La Jolla for breakfast. After some scrumptious strawberry stuffed French Toast at a place called the Cottage, we walked down to the Children's Pool to take a gander at the huge chunks of fat lying around sunning themselves. Apparently this little cover used to be a perfect wading pool for kids, but has now been taken over by Pacific Harbor Seals. It was hard to see them at first, they blend in quite well with the seaweed.

There were quite a few on the beach and on various rocks around the beach and shore. Every now and then, one would inch itself into the water and shoot around like a little rocket, but for the most part they seemed to be content just laying around sunning themselves. I'm convinced that if my nephew Philip were a sea mammal, he would take up residence at the Children's Pool in La Jolla, CA!

No comments: