Monday, January 22, 2007

Military Friends

I'm not one for chain emails. In fact, I usually check them against urbanlegends.com or actually call to verify the phone number listed at the end to make it look legit (it never is!). I hate misinformation and I'm not the kind of girl who likes getting some mushy friendship email-chain poem in the middle of my workday. My friend Rose (in the pic from 1997) sent me this one though, and I kind of got a kick out of it, especially since I just spent a few days with some military friends! I decided to share it with my blog readers (with some modifications) instead of passing it on in an email.



Civilian Friends: Get upset if you're too busy to talk to them for a week.
Military Friends: Are glad to see you after years and will happily continue the same conversation (and sea stories) from last time you met.


Civilian Friends: Never ask for food.
Military Friends: Never have much food but will share what they have with you (and make it a party!)


Civilian Friends: Call your parents Mr. and Mrs.
Military Friends: Call your parents Mom and Dad (my parents have wayward sailors as adopted kids all over the U.S.!)


Civilian Friends: Have never seen you cry (before I turned into a big pansy!)
Military Friends: Cry with you (OK, this one is a stretch. . . they actually either freak out over the fact that I'm crying or laugh at me because I'm getting soft in my old age!!)


Civilian Friends: Know a few things about you
Military Friends: Could write a book about you with direct quotes (some of my friends, both military and civilian, refer to those as Karenisms)


Civilian Friends: Would knock on your door
Military Friends: Walk right on in through the back door and announce "I'm home"


Civilian Friends: Are for a while (not all though, some are lifers too!)
Military Friends: Are for life


Civilian Friends: Have shared a few experiences
Military Friends: Have shared a lifetime of experiences


And the tales get better each time they're told!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! That pic really takes me back. Those quotes really hit home Sunshine, so true. Happy Birthday Sunshine!! Sorry I'm late. It is always great to hear from our Navy friends like Rose. Those days are priceless. Dave

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen,

This photo took me back too--1997 seems like yesterday. Good times over in Spain! Good verses above too about mil friends.

Happy Birthday too--when I saw that post I remembered we had flight physicals in the same "birth month" over at the NS Rota hospital with the flight doc's.

Dave G--congrats on your retirement too!

Rob Leeds

Karen said...

Dave,
Can you believe that was 10 years ago?! Here's one to make you feel even older. . . her son Joshua is a teenager now and is as tall as she is!

sunshine

Karen said...

Rob,
I still schedule all my medical checkups in the month of January!! Just makes it easier to keep track of when you stick to tradition!! I'm just glad I'm not getting physicals for 150 flight hours in a 30 day period anymore!

Karen

Anonymous said...

Thanks Rob, Here's the routine so far. Wake up. Make coffee. Turn on TV. Make fire in fireplace. Drink coffee. Change channel. Nap. Put log on fire. Repeat. I am trying to simplify this process though. I guess I better get a job now. Where is Rose? Dave