Saturday, January 13, 2007

Dave's retirement

Yesterday was quite the day! As luck would have it, Oklahoma is in the midst of a vicious ice storm!! We all made it to the hanger on time for practice and the ceremony, but the weather certainly made the day challenging. Even with the sky spitting ice against the hanger doors, the ceremony went well and suffiently paid tribute to Dave's 20 years of military service in the U.S. Navy.

For my non-military friends out there, you can see from these pictures that a Navy retirement is a very serious affair and adheres to hundreds of years of tradition and protocol. Dave's shipmates succeeded in pulling off a very formal, yet personal celebration of his time in the Navy. For me personally, it was a very moving experience. It was great reconnecting with friends I hadn't seen in many years, but also reliving some of the environment I used to be so comfortable in. It was a little strange to not be in a uniform amongst my shipmates, but I was so awed by all they had accomplished that I couldn't help but feel anything but pride as I looked around.

I remember being a new airman in the Navy a long time ago and thinking that the Navy Chiefs seemed so old and wise. All my friends and shipmates who are still in the Navy have attained the coveted rank of Navy Chief or Senior Chief (E-7 and E-8). All the side boys (sailors standing along the red carpet) in Dave's ceremony were Navy Chief Petty Officers and his friends. As I looked over at Jim & Karla, Russ and Gary standing at attention as side boys, it dawned on me how much our perceptions are based on life experience. Those "old and wise" Chiefs from my early days in the Navy are now my friends who have advanced in their careers to positions of leadership and are the molders of our military's future. Maybe not "old and wise" just yet, but still just as impressive!

Dave's whole family was in attendance and witnessed him receive a Navy Commendation Medal for his service as well as his transfer to the fleet reserve. He's retired now, but he'll always be a Navy Chief.














No comments: