Thursday, December 21, 2006

Still in Colorado

It's been a long year for me and the thought of two weeks back home in Louisiana had been keeping me going for the last few weeks. I want to remain positive, so I won't rant and rave over the blizzard that has postponed my Christmas holiday. I was supposed to fly out this morning, but now the earliest I'll be able to leave Colorado is on December 25.

I feel like I'm back in aircrew school when we were out for our daily run. We knew the three mile loop like the back of our hands, so it was easy after a while to pace ourselves accordingly. It's called "smelling the barn" when you get close to the destination and pick up the pace because you know you're almost there. So, the class leaders would sometimes wait until we were "smelling the barn" and then announce that today would be a five-mile run instead of a three-miler. Yesterday, my run turned into a five-miler just as I was sprinting up to the barn!

I'm much better today though. There's absoutley nothing I can do about it, so I've resigned myself to accepting that I'll be able to get a little more work done before I leave. I'm waiting for the snow to slack off though so I can go to the grocery store. I knew I was leaving for two weeks, so I've been trying to use up the groceries I had before I left. I actually did a really good job of rationing out what I had left- it lasted until this morning! My poor little VW Fox can't get out the driveway, so I'll take a little hike later today when the grocery store opens. Good thing I only live a half mile from the nearest grocery store!

That's it for now. I'm warm and safe in my house. Keep your fingers crossed that I can get out on Christmas day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brent & I thought about you this morning after we saw the weather report! Speaking of 80 degree Christmas's....it's been near 75 here all week. In fact, I'm sitting here in shorts & a Tshirt thinking of Colorado...cold, snowy, ice everywhere. I'll stay in Florida! It's raining finally though & looks like our high will be near 60 during Christmas.
Anyway, we hope you do get home for the holidays!! Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I was just listening to some of the Christmas songs on the radio and "Come Home for Christmas" came on...while I was reading your blog...It was like a Hollywood production hearing the blues song and reading your "Still in Colorado... Blues".

I called Mom yesterday wondering about you....and she confirmed what we all dreaded to hear.

On the Bright Side...Just think when you get back to Colorado...your home will be spotless...all closets will be organized...and you won't have to clean the refrig of questionable left overs.

See you for Christmas..."I Still Believe"
Aunt Ruth ..Love You