Thursday, December 28, 2006

Redfish Courtbuillion

My Aunt Ruth and Pyran Wayne came over last night for supper and my mom made a redfish courtbuillion (pronounced coo bee yon). She makes a modified version of her dad's recipe. My Papa Babin was a GREAT cook, especially with any dish that calls for seafood in it.



My Papa was a jack of all trades! He worked on barges, built bridges & houses, was a Wildlife and Fisheries agent and was a trapper for a good part of his life. Although I don't think he had formal schooling past the second grade, he was one of the smartest people I've ever known. He could do math in his head that I can't even do on a calculator and could perfectly square up a house seemingly by feel! Of all his talents though, his cooking took the prize! He made everything from spicey turtle soup to scrumtuous smothered duck.



Here's my mom's modified version of his recipe that I like even better!!



Redfish Courtbuillion


6 lbs tenderloined fish
4 Tbsp flour
2 8-oz cans tomato sauce
1 bell pepper, chopped
4 bay leaves
6 Tbsp oil
2 10-oz cans whole tomato
4 large onions, chopped
4 ribs celery, chopped
salt, pepper, & tobasco sauce to taste
Make roux with flour and oil.
Add seasonings and saute until tender.
Add tomatoes and smother.
Add all other spices and seasonings and enough water or fish stock to the thickness desired.
Cook over low heat for several hours to blend.
About 30 minutes before the sauce is cooked add fish to cook in the sauce.
Serve over rice.


After supper, my nephew Andy and his girlfriend Lauren took me about a quarter mile up the road to a place that serves beignets. Just about every culture has a version of this fried dough with powdered sugar on top (think funnel cakes, chorros, etc.). The nutritionist in my cringes at the thought of it, but I allow myself this indulgence a couple of times a year! I used to take Andy to the French Quarter in New Orleans when he was younger and we'd have cafe au lait and beignets at Cafe du Monde. Yummmmmmmm! When he was younger, I'd wait until he got the beignet right up to his face, then I'd blow on the powdered sugar and he's end up with it everywhere! He's a lot bigger now though and he had his girlfriend with us, so I refrained this time!!!
OK, stand by for a boiled crabs post later!

No comments: