Sunday, December 03, 2006

Chula Vista

As I'm sitting in my house trying to avoid the sub-freezing temps outside (we just got above single digits a couple of hours ago), I thought I'd reminisce about my trip to our Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista last week. Chula Vista is a little south of San Diego and only a few miles from the U.S.-Mexico border.

The weather was warmer than Colorado Springs, but still not as warm as I was hoping for. It figures that one of the nights I was there, they set a record low!

While I was there, I got to visit with one of my Navy friends from Spain. Stephanie just got out of the Navy, but her husband is stationed on a ship in San Diego. Their house in Chula Vista is super nice and in a great neighborhood with a really nice park. It was so great to get to see her and Brick and their two kids. It had been a few years since we had seen each other, so I got to meet their youngest one for the first time. Unfortunatly, the visit was so quick, I didn't get a chance to take a picture of the family! Next trip. . .

This week at work is pretty jam-packed, so I'm not sure when I'll post again. I'm heading home to Louisiana on Dec. 21 and I'm beside myself with anticipation. I can hardly wait to get there and be surrounded with family! I'm hoping we won't have snow again on Christmas Day this year! Yes, I know it's crazy, but while I was sitting in my parents' living room on the bayou, my nephew comes running from the window shouting that it was snowing. Sure enough, there was a light dusting right on Christmas Day! As much as I didn't want the snow to follow me from Colorado, I have to admit it was pretty cool to see a whole generation of kids experience snow for the first time! I can only remember snow in South Louisiana three times in my lifetime- 1973, 1989, and 2005. I lived overseas for most of the 1990s, so maybe there was snow during that decade too? Comments from home?

Until the next post, stay warm and safe!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya on the cold weather! Ithaca is a bit chilly these days too. When are we going to have our toes in the sand again!?!?!?

Anonymous said...

PLEASE DON'T JINX US!!!!! Those were the times I remember the snow too. I have enough memories to hold me over for a long time. So keep the snow in Colorado when you come!!!! Love Ya and can't wait to see you!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sending the snow my way Sunshine! We got anywhere from 6-12 inches here in OKC. I'll send some on to Monica. Looks good on a pergola. And the day after it snowed, it was 9 degrees at night.

Dave