Thursday, October 26, 2006

My first blizzard!

All day long yesterday, I kept hearing on the radio how we were gonna have a blizzard today that might rival the one of 1997. Well, I wasn't here in 1997, but I heard it pretty much shut down the city for two days! It was so weird to hear those news reports while it was still in the mid-60s outside!

Not being one to waste good warm weather (it's all relative!) , I took my Harley for a quick spin after work with my friends Suzanne and David. I didn't get to ride it all last week because I was in New York, and I leave day after tomorrow for Beijing for a week. Three weeks would've just been too long without a little spin, so I figured I'd better get it in now while the gettin' was good!!

As you can see from these pics, I'm very glad that I left my bike in their garage for the night!! I have no idea how much snow has fallen, but it's still coming down in buckets! I woke up this morning at 5:00 a. m. like I always do so I can be working out at 5:30 a.m. I looked out the window and it didn't look too bad out there. The snow plow had just come down the street, so it looked drivable. I called the weather line at work and the recording said we'd be on a 2 hour delay (they give us 2 hours for the roads to be cleared and for us to shovel our own walks). So, I worked out, took a shower and looked out the window about 6:30 a.m. I couldn't even see my street anymore, so I called the weather line and the recording said it was a snow day for non-essential personnel. Now, as important as I think nutrition is, I'd have a hard time justifying that my presence on complex today would be essential to keeping the mission going!

I knew there was a high likelihood that I'd be stuck at home today, so I brought some work and my computer home just in case. I will probably get more work done here today than two days at work since I'll have less distractions! As you can see, all the pictures were taken from INSIDE the house! I don't plan on leaving the house today if I can help it. After all, the radio announcer keeps saying that unless it's life or death, please don't get out on the roads. OK by me!!!

One last note before I get back to work (from home!). . . it is so quiet outside it's almost spooky. When I opened the door to take the pictures, it was deafening silent and the air so crisp it almost hurt to breath in too deeply. The outside temperature has been a steady 31 degrees since I got up this morning, so it's not ridiculously cold (again, it's all relative!).

I'll update with more pictures if the snow gets much deeper as the day progresses.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen, I hope you have a lot of comfort food on hand. the troops won't be able to get in to bring you more gumbo. stay warm. Love you .MOM

Anonymous said...

HOLY COW!!!!

Yes, Daigle, that is a REAL snow storm! (and that is coming from a yankee!!!)

Now get out of your house and play! Make snow angles, a snow man, snow balls, a snow fort, go skiing or snow shoeing - O so very VERY much fun to be had in the snow!! :)

Anonymous said...

I think you should throw a few red bows around that swing and use the picture for your Christmas Cards :-)
Luv
Aunt Cynt

Anonymous said...

AND THE PERGOLA STANDS STRONG!!! Need I say more? I'm thinking Christmas lights AND the bows. I never did picture the pergola snow covered. Looks cool Sunshine! Not bad for a one handed typer on Lortab.

Dave