Sunday, October 08, 2006

Fall is in the air!

After I recovered from the initial shock of coming back to fall weather from my trip to Hawaii, I'm trying to get out there and enjoy the changing season. This is Colorado where the temperature fluctuates from 38 degrees when I wake up in the morning to upper 70s on my way home from work. At least the daily afternoon showers have stopped, and I have ridden my motorcycle to work just about everyday for the last couple of weeks. Yep, I'm pretty bundled up in the morning, but it's OK in the afternoons.

Last weekend, my friend Robyn and I, rode out to Pueblo and to Bishops Castle. Actually, I rode my Harley and Robyn drove her car! I don't think I'm experienced enough of a rider yet to take passengers. We had both been through Pueblo several times, but never to Pueblo. We went down to the historic district where there is a miniature "river walk". I use the term "river walk" pretty loosly since I grew up with the New Orleans River Walk along the Mississippie River. The one in Pueblo is more like a ditch walk! After Pueblo, I led the way to Bishops Castle since Robyn had never seen it before. I did a post earlier this year if you want to read more about it, but it was worth a return trip.

The aspen trees are all turning colors and it really is pretty. My friends up in those little states all clumped together (AKA New England), would say that this display of fall colors whimpers in comparison to the changing of the leaves out there, but with my dislike of chilly weather, this is fine for me! I do have to admit though, when I went to Marquette, Michigan with my friend Bridie last fall, I had never seen those kinds of colors outside of a Disney animated cartoon.

The picture with the house in front of the mountains is actually my neighbor's house across the street from me. I don't know what kind of trees she has, but they turn crazy reds and oranges this time of year.

As you'll see in my next post, I'm getting in as much riding time as I can while the weather will let me. I'm bracing myself for the inevitable winter and the accompanying 5-6 months of me just trying to live through it with my sanity intact. Don't worry, I'll try not to post complaints about the weather all winter long!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Karen,
I have to agree with you : From Hawaii weather to the weather in Colorado Mountains is not what I would call my cup of tea. You can blame me for your dislike of the cold. I may have to grin and bare it too as we are headed to visit our Tenn. friends this week . The leaves are getting pretty out there now. You will have to wait to see my pictures in person. No blog for me?
Love,MOM