Monday, May 26, 2008

Point Loma & Bay Bridge Run/Walk

I've been so busy this week, I haven't had a chance to update ya'll on the rest of last weekend. I just couldn't stay off my bike with the weather so beautiful and warm, so I did a little more sightseeing and participated in a run/walk.

I'm starting this post off with the map to orientate you on my weekend. I live on Coronado which is the "island" in the middle of the map. The red line that is marked "toll bridge" in the map is actually the San Diego Bay Bridge. As mentioned in a previous post, it's no longer a toll bridge and is free to pass over. Unfortunately, it's illegal for anything other than motorized transport to pass over the bridge. That makes it pretty hard to get some good pictures from up there, so I decided to walk the Navy's 22nd Original Bay Bridge Run/Walk so I could take my camera along. To the west of the island is a peninsula called Point Loma. I rode out there a couple of times and toured the National park and spectacular ocean views.

Unfortunately, the day of the walk turned out to be hazy and visibility wasn't great for my photo trek. The walk/run was 4 miles long and raised funds for the Navy's MWR program (Morale, Welfare & Recreation), so my registration fee went to a great cause even if I didn't get spectacular pictures out of it! In this picture you can see the Hotel del Coronado (red peaked cluster of buildings) slightly right to center and further to the right is Point Loma off in the distance. The Hotel del Coronado is on the coast at the sharp south-east bend of the road depicted by the red line on Coronado island on the map. As you can see, it's a straight line of sight from the hotel to Point Loma. I often go for walks along the beach in front of the Hotel del Coronado to watch the sun set just behind Point Loma.

At the end of Point Loma is Cabrillo National Park. Although this point of land may not have been the actual landing site, Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo landed somewhere in San Diego bay in the 1540s and became the first European to set foot on the west coast of what is now the U.S. There's a statue commemorating him and his landing at the tip of the point overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Not far from the statue is the Old Point Loma Lighthouse build in the 1850s. The Fresnel lens reflected the oil lamp of the light house and could be seen 39 miles out to sea, on a clear night. I say "a clear night" because we often get what's called a marine layer out here in San Diego. Apparently the fog and low clouds of the marine layer often obscured the light resulting in the closure of the lighthouse less than 40 years later. The lighthouse still stands and is open to the public for touring. At the turn of the 20th century the 422 foot elevation of the peninsula was recognized as a strategic defense site and designated as a military reserve. During World Wars I & II, the facilities on the peninsula acted as lookout points and defense garrisons.

On a winding road that descended down to sea level from the top of the peninsula I discovered what must be one of the most scenic duty stations in the U.S. I took a picture of the Coast Guard station in my rear view mirror as I ascended back up to 400 feet. Click on the picture for a bigger view and you'll see that the small cluster of Spanish Style buildings hugging the cliff overlooking the ocean is a military base! Not sure how many people are stationed there but there was one house with a swing under a front porch. Sure is a waste of a sweet site if no one lives in that house!

I had my riding boots on so I didn't do a whole lot of hiking, but I will certainly go back out there with running shoes in my saddlebags this summer. There are quite a few walking trails throughout the peninsula with pretty amazing views. Some of the trails are up high overlooking the cliffs and some actually parallel the shoreline and provide access to some tide pools. Looked like a great place to take Monica and Philip when they come out for a visit next month!

OK, still lots more to catch everyone up on. I got out and about a bit on this three-day Memorial Day weekend. I hope everyone had a great holiday and didn't forget to take a moment to recall the real reason for this holiday.

No comments: