Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Memorial Day weekend in San Diego

Three whole days off! Although the weather was chilly and overcast most of the weekend, I still got out locally. Although most Americans consider Memorial Day weekend nothing more than the kick-off to summer and cook outs, I was determined to commemorate the holiday by visiting some local memorials. I rode back up to Mount Soledad (previous post) and read a few more commemorative plaques. It's amazing how personal some of them are. The family decides how much information to list about the service-member's military careers and achievements as well as their family life, but almost all of them are accompanied by a picture. For those of you subjected to my camera-toting escapades, you know that I'm a picture person!

Today I attended a memorial service at Fort Rosencrans military cemetery out at Point Loma. It was solemn and beautiful, complete with accompaniment by the Marine Corp band and taps being played by echoing buglers. The effect of the echo as they played acres away from each other on opposite sides of the cemetery was haunting. I don't think I've ever heard anything so hallowed and touching; an emotional tribute to those who have paid the ultimate price for the life and lifestyles we enjoy today.

One of the best parts of living on Coronado island is that everything is so close. Even sites across San Diego bay are walking distance thanks to the Coronado-San Diego ferry. For $6 round trip, I boarded the ferry boat (in the picture between the pier and the San Diego skyline) and was transported across the bay within 10 minutes. There are so many things to see and do right across the bay but I decided on a leisurely sightseeing day and bypassed all the maritime sights and headed towards the Seaport Village.

Before getting to the Village of shopping boutiques and restaurants, I stopped off in the park right next to the USS Midway Museum. I spied a huge sailor statue from the ferry and wanted to get a closer look. It turned out to be a 3D depiction of the now famous V-J Day photo from Times Square of a navy sailor kissing a woman that was originally published in Life magazine in 1945. As you can see by how small the people on the ground look next to this thing, it's massive!

Next stop was lunch! Since moving to San Diego, fish tacos are quickly becoming one of my favorite local meals. They come in many forms with many different fixins' and many types of fish out here. My favorite however, is grilled with lots of cilantro. Although not the best fish taco I've ever had, I ate a pretty decent version at Buster's Beach House & Longboard Bar. They're always awkward to eat, but I love the grilled fish with cabbage, cilantro, tomatoes & lime falling out of the soft tacos. Pretty tasty with an ice cold cerveza!

One other high point of the weekend was attending the first concert of the Coronado Summer Concerts in the park series. Every Sunday evening throughout the summer there will be a free concert out at Spreckles Park. Whit & Kathie came over to the island and we hung out at the park enjoying a bottle of wine and patriotic music by the Coronado Community Band. The evening was clear & cool but not too chilly as we lounged in lawn chairs and enjoyed the music and company. I'm looking forward to attending these performances whenever I'm in town.

Speaking of being in and out of town, I fly out on Wed for Indianapolis for a conference. It's a short trip, I'll be back before the weekend starts if the airline lives up to its end of the financial transaction of my airline ticket. Seems so simple doesn't it. . . I give them money to take me and my luggage somewhere. My end of the bargain is to pay the fare and show up at the allotted time with my luggage. Their end of the bargain is to take me and my luggage to the designated location at the designated time as indicated on the receipt of the financial transaction. Should be so easy. . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! I really miss fish tacos! Took me forever to even try one but then I was hooked!
Send some to Penscola!!

Karen said...

I'm hooked too! Maybe yall should just come out here for a little vacation and we can go out for fish tacos and a cerveza!

Jim said...

Karen,

I love following your adventures! Hey, how come you dont have a compainion running around with you all the time? Seems like a waste! You have sooo much to offer.. anywho just a long distance observation. Hope your doing well!!
Jim

Karen said...

Thanks for the compliment, but most of the time I prefer to ride alone. The problem with folks looking for others who have a lot to offer is that they seldom have much to offer themselves- that's the real waste.