Thursday, February 22, 2007

Cajun Crab Cakes

On Mardi Gras day, our Food Service staff at the training center did an amazing job of serving a Cajun lunch. There was even beignets (baked, not fried!) and King Cake from New Orleans for dessert. Not to be outdone by non-Cajuns, I decided to thaw out some of the crab meat I had in the freezer from home and make crab cakes. Although I was winging it, I think they turned out pretty good!

Karen's crab cakes

1 lb boiled and peeled crab meat
2 egg whites
2 Tbsp chopped chives
2 Tbsp whole wheat bread crumbs
4 Tbsp real mayonnaise
1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs for coating
2 Tbsp canola oil

In a large bowl, mix eggs and mayonnaise. Fold in crab meat mixed with chives and 2 Tbsp bread crumbs. Form rounded crab cakes then coat each side in the remaining bread crumbs.

In a large (prefereably heavy) skillet, heat oil and fry crab cakes (about 4 minutes on each side). Makes 4 cakes approx. 1-inch thick and 3-inches in diameter.

This was an experiment as evidenced by the fact that the mixture was pretty hard to form into cakes without falling apart. Too much mayo? Maybe I didn't squeeze enough water out of the crab meat (it had been frozen in water)? I was tempted to throw in some Tony Chachere's, but I didn't want to overpower the subtle taste of the crab meat that had been boiled in crab boil before they were peeled. It probably could have used a bit of seasoning though.

Hey, I never professed to be a culinary artist!! I'm open to suggestions from familiy, friends and/or fellow foodies!!!

5 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks Aunt Cynt!!! I'll have to give it another try in a few weeks (2 more bags of crab meat in the freezer!!).

I've always loved photography, now I'm experiementing with food photography a bit. I need tons of food photos for the Power Point presentations I do, so I'm starting to do my own.

Karen

Anonymous said...

One letter, MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!! If anybody is interested in a garlic mayonaisse recipe from my spanish cookbook, I'll post it here if it's OK with you Sunshine. Dave

Karen said...

Dave,
Pleae do post the recipe!!! You know how to use garlic without it being overbearing in food better than anyone I know! Speaking of which, I'm due for some garlic soup some time soon!!

sunshine

Anonymous said...

So what you are saying is that i am the garlic "King". OK, here it is:
1 egg
4 cloves garlic (I use 5)
6 oz olive oil (light is the best)
2 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice (use lemon)
1/2 tsp salt

In a blender place the egg and peeled garlic. Blend until garlic and egg is smooth. Add the olive oil in a slow stream, (very slow) with the blender going (on high) until the sauce is thick and emulsified. Add the vinegar or lemon juice and salt.

If the sauce is too thick and doesn't blend well, slow down the blender and add the vinegar or lemon juice and salt then turn it up to high.

I use this on everything, french fries, sandwiches, hamburgers, pizza, oh hell, anything else. Maybe crabcakes, we'll see.

I guess garlic soup recipe will follow, soon. Ya'll will love it!!!!!

Dave

Anonymous said...

I forgot, garlic mayonnaise in my book is called ALIOLI, sorry!