Friday, June 30, 2006

Dwayne, Julia & Gavin in Colorado!

I’m so excited that this summer is shaping up to be one full of family! I got to spend two weeks with Andy in Europe, and yesterday my brother Dwayne flew up from Louisiana with my niece Julia and my nephew Gavin! This is the first time any of them has been to Colorado, so I’m pretty excited that I get to host them at my house and show them around!

Yesterday after they landed, Dwayne and the kids came back to work with me for a little while, then we headed out to Garden of the Gods. Gavin was so excited to see some people out there rock climbing. Julia couldn’t wait to touch the orange rocks, so we walked around a bit. The kids experimented with a little bouldering, although it didn’t work so well for Julia who was wearing flip flops! Philip and Andy, yall will be excited to know that Gavin and Julia love Michelle’s chocolate and ice cream parlor as much as yall do!!

All the walking around plus their first time at altitude really took a toll on everyone. After 10 hours of sleep though, we were all up for another day. We started off the day with some blueberry pancakes then took the cog railway up to Pikes Peak. It takes a little over an hour by the cog, but it’s well worth the view. The kids thought I was crazy when I told them to bring some long pants and a jacket with them to go up to the peak when the temp down in the Springs was in the 80s. They were thankful we brought extra clothes though when they experienced the 40 degree weather at the top! A little hot chocolate and a nap later, all was well!

Tomorrow, we may go to the Royal Gorge and do a little more sightseeing. So far, I think Colorado and Aunt Karen’s house is a hit!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey All,

Happy the triip is going well and having a good time. I told you there was a lot to see and do. Be sure to go back and have something chocolate for Maw.Julia and Gavin , have you'll taken any pictures with the cameras yet. Dwayne see if you can bring back some cooler weather with you. We still have no rain and temp. of 94 today.
Can't wait to hear from the kids when they get home. Aunt Karen is a great guide and hostess.

Love ,Maw Carolyn

Anonymous said...

I am so glad yall are enjoying the trip. Gavin & Julia have to go to Michelle's at least one more time for Andy & Philip before they come back home! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Hey Aunt Karen,
Thank you for letting us stay at your house while we were in Colorado. I did not want to leave because I was having too much fun. I told Maw about the river, Next time I will bring a bathing suit.It took us longer to get home because the weather was bad going to Houston.
Love BeBe.

Karen said...

Mom and Monica,
Brace yourselves, I think the kids might have a few tales to tell for the next few days!!!

Julia,
I miss you already! Yall made me so happy by coming out to Colorado for a visit. It's hard living so far away from home, but when home comes to visit, my world is a happier place!