Monday, July 03, 2006

An empty house : (

The house sure is quiet now. Dwayne, Julia and Gavin flew back to Louisiana this morning. We had so much fun over the last few days, it was hard to let them go! We fit most of the Colorado Springs highlights in during the short 3 days they were here. I’ve already posted the pictures from Pikes Peak and described a little bit about our visit to the Garden of the Gods, but we also toured the Olympic Training Center (of course!). Saturday night ended up being a little more eventful than we had hoped for. . . my sewerage line backed up and Dwayne and I were in the crawl space under my house for a good part of the evening (sorry about putting you to work on your vacation, Dwayne!)! Funny how these things always happen late on a weekend night, huh? We ended up having to call in the professionals, but by 10:30 p.m. we finally all had showers and hit the hay.

Homeowner crises aside, we had a great time sightseeing. On Saturday we drove out to Canon City and visited the Royal Gorge. We walked over the world’s highest suspension bridge spanning the Arkansas River. The sign near the bridge says it’s the “world’s highest” but I’m not sure if that’s due to the bridge being 1053 feet above the river or if it’s because the bridge is at an elevation of 6626 feet! Anyway, it’s so high up, the rafts on the river below look like little orange specs! There was a petting zoo and some great look-out points over the river. We all walked across the bridge together, then Gavin and I took the single span aerial tram back across. After a nap back at my house, we hit the Acacia Park in downtown Colorado Springs for some fun! There’s a really cool log-roll contraption and monkey bars that kept the kids entertained for a while. It’s funny that with all the unique stuff to see and do here, the kids were most fascinated by climbing on Balancing Rock in Garden of the Gods and with the playground in Acacia Park! The last picture is of the kids walking in “melted ice” in the creek running from Helen Hunt waterfall here in the Springs. Yep, it was cold! Our toes were tingling for about an hour after!

So, now that I’ve evicted all the junk food from my house and took my Harley out for a 50 mile spin this morning, I await my next visitor. A week after I get back from Australia, my nephew Philip will come out for about a week. My neighbors are starting to wonder if I’m running a hotel here! As always, thanks for visiting the blog and checking in on my adventures!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure how you can say that you showed them the best of Colorado and you did not take them to Raven's Nest Coffee. They have the best coffee around.

Karen said...

I stand corrected! None of them drink coffee or tea, so i wasn't sure I was ready for the ribbing I would've caught there!!

Does this mean you've conveniently forgotten my "regular" again?!