Sunday, July 16, 2006

Back in the States, and out for a ride!

So, after sleeping for a solid 12 hours, upon my return from Australia, I looked outside and saw that it was a beautiful 90 degree day! I figured today would be a good day to check off something on my Colorado sight-seeing list, so I got directions from my neighbor and headed out to a place called Bishop Castle. No matter that I still had work to do from the trip, needed to unpack, and have a ton of yard work that needs to be done, I felt like doing something fun!

It was a perfect day for riding – well, by my standards anyway! Hot, hot, and more hot! I rode by some place with a bank sign displaying the temperature, and it said 100 degrees! The hour on the interstate was pretty mundane, but the rest of the ride out to the castle was beautiful. Winding roads that passed right by Lake Isabella. The castle itself was well worth the trip.

According to their website, construction on Bishop Castle began in 1969. All construction has been done by one man, Jim Bishop. It started off being a cottage up in the mountains for his family, but as construction continued, it became a castle. The tallest tower is roughly 160 feet high and the dragon at the top of the castle can shoot fire out of its mouth (it didn't shoot fire while I was there, but I’ve heard about it!). It’s quite a work of art, and Jim still works on the castle on weekends, holidays, and some week days. He works at Bishops Ornamental Iron Shop in Pueblo, which explains the amazingly detailed iron works all around the castle. The castle is open free to the public – a fact which apparently has caused some problems in the past as evidenced by the handwritten sign in the picture. If you ever are in southern Colorado, this is a must see on the sightseeing tour.

By the time I had parked my Harley at home, I had put a little over 250 miles on it. I felt a little guilty about playing all day, so I got out the hedge clippers and tackled the monstrosity growing between me and my neighbor’s yard! Exhausted again, I’ll end this post and go to bed. . .

No comments: