Sunday, June 25, 2006

Out on the highway. . .

Friends and family know that I am a linear person, meaning I like things in order! So it pains me to post yesterday's adventures in the middle of my Euro-vacation wrap-up! But, I'm so excited, I just have to do it!

I BOUGHT A NEW HARLEY DAVIDSON MOTORCYCLE!

A couple of the women in the Riders Edge motorcycle class I took about a month ago were getting together to go for a ride, so I called the Harley shop to rent a bike for the day. Of course, they were all gone! I was really frustrated by this news but figured “Oh well, I’ll just have to do it another weekend.” I work and travel so much, it dawned on me that it won’t be “another weekend” because there will always be something getting in the way. Not just of going out for a ride, but I tend to put a lot of things on hold because I travel and work so much.

Sooooooo, what the hell?! With the exception of one car out of four that I’ve owned over the last 20 years, they were all used. My bicycle is used, my house was built in 1951, my cell phone is the original brick that I got when I signed up for my plan 3 years ago, and I can’t tell you the last time I bought something new and just for fun. So, now that I don’t have to save up money for the Euro-vacation, I had a hard time talking myself out of it! I don’t really have time to chase the cheapest bike in the country on e-bay and the used bikes around here weren’t much cheaper than a new one. The picture is of me and my new 2006 cobalt blue, HD Sportster 1200 custom. I’ve got some accessories that will be added in a couple of weeks, so I’ll post another picture once I get em.

Now, for those of you who think I’ve done a 180 from being a fithippie to a biker chick, I don’t think I can be categorized that easily. I did a three mile run this morning before I went riding with my friends for the day. It’s good to mix it up every now and then! Plus, the majority of people I’ve met while riding are hardly the Hell’s Angels types. The two women in the picture with me were in my motorcycle class and just bought new Harleys also. Suzanne, the one on my right in the picture, is the mother of 8 children and just bought a Sportster similar to mine. The woman on my left is Sonny, and she’s a retired Naval officer and just bought a Fatboy. Both of them are doting moms and have been married over 20 years. Suzanne’s husband doesn’t ride (yet!) and Sonny’s husband has his own bike. We had a very non-Hell’s Angels day – met up, rode to a cafĂ© for coffee, went to the Harley shop and finished up some things there, rode the curvy roads up to their houses, had lunch, and then explored some back roads until mid-afternoon. I had a great day with my new friends and can’t wait to go again!!

Pictures complements of Suzanne!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited that you got your new motorcycle! holy cow!!!!! i am so excited for you!!!! have fun!

Anonymous said...

Love the picture of you on the bike. You look like it was special made for you. Way to go girl!!!!
Do I have to bring my own helmet when I come visit.???

Love, MOM

Karen said...

Thanks, but I'm not sure who posted this?! I have quite a few friends who would say "holy cow"!!!!

karen

David Alexander said...

This is quite an upgrade from the old vw fox!

CONGRATS!