Thursday, June 15, 2006

Louvre is huge, Mono Lisa is tiny!

That pretty much sums up the reactions of Andy and Alexis as we hit the Louvre Museum first thing this morning. Although it had been 10 years since I had last been there, I knew that I should take them to the Mona Lisa and the Venus de Milo sculpture right off the bat before the crowds got rediculous. Just like everyone else that sees the Mona Lisa for the first time, they couldn't believe how small the painting actually is. We split up after that and toured the sections of the Louvre that interested each of us. I've always had an attraction to Greek and Roman sculptures as well as Italian and Spanish paintings, so that's where I spent the majority of my time. I actually got the audo guide this time and learned so much more about my favorite pieces than I'd ever read. We were at the museum from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., so it was a full on day!

After the Louvre, we headed down the river to Notre Dame cathedral. Once again, I was awestruck by the stained glass windows as were Alexis and Andy. We took tons of pictures, but I'm on the internet in the hostel that doesn't allow me to access pictures. I hope my commentary isn't too boring without visuals! Alexis has posted a comment on one of the previous posts, so go back and check those out.

After Notre Dame, I thought it would be cool to show them Monte Marte. I remembered it to be a cool, Bohemian feeling part of town with mimes and a circus atmosphere. So, we took the metro to the closest stop I could identify on our map. I started getting uneasy when I noticed all the graffiti in the metro stop, but we pressed on and headed up to the street. I thought that the neighborhood was a little sketchy just because we were so close to the metro stop and there was a huge open air market going on. So, we walked a few blocks and tried to figure out where the Monte Marte Bascillica was located. My stomach started knotting up as I realized I had just brought two 18 year olds to the ghetto of Paris! OK, let's turn around and get back on the metro. I was thinking a couple of stops later we'd be where we wanted to be, but that stop was just as sketchy, so we scrapped the whole idea and went back to the river front for dinner. Alexis wanted to know why I had turned us around so quickly and left and I replied with This is where you're parents were worried I might bring yall! So, not to worry parents at home. . . we experienced the bad parts of town and made it out OK!!! With that part over with, we're home free now!!!

Tomorrow, we leave paris and head for the Loire region. Hopefully, we'll get internet acces with photo downloading there!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen and partners in crime,

Wow has it been 10 years that we were in Paris?Yes I remember the Nutella Crepes.Did they eat them in the streets from the street venders? They were awsome!!!!! Bring one back for me!!!!!! Alexis and Andy don't worry that you were not impressed with the Mono Lisa. I thought it was over rated when I saw it too.
pictures are good but don't stop with the commentarys. I am enjoying this trip too much to be left waiting for the next adventure just because you can't post pictures.Keep safe and God speed. MOM

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen, I am not worried, since we live in the hood and Alexis used to walk 10 miles to school up hill both ways, I figure she can handle a little international hoodlums:)And since you and Andy used to wrestle alligators down in the bayou, all should be good.

Karen said...

No worries, things always seem to work out! Now they have a great story for later! And if they hold up to the great storey-telling tradition I've established, those stories will grow bigger and funnier with each telling! Remember "if you don't have anything to add to the story, why bother retelling it?!"

Karen said...

Mom,
You can find Nutella in grocery stores in the States! Maybe we'll have to whip some Nutella chocolate crepes up for the kids next time I'm home!! I don't know if we'll be able to top the street vendors though!