Saturday, March 25, 2006

Another Honorary Cajun!!


One of the best parts of being from such a unique region is getting to introduce my friends to my family and culture. I never realized how unique South Louisiana and my upbringing was until I joined the Navy and met other people not from here. So, when my friend Bridie emailed me and asked where I would be during her Spring Break from Cornell, I immediately replied that she should come down to Houma for a few days. She said yes and showed up, but I don’t think she was prepared for what she found!

At this point in the story, let me just say that my parents love to entertain. Yes, it’s a Southern thing, but it’s also a Daigle thing. Over the years, I have brought many friends home to Cajun country, but they’ve always been hand-picked. My family are very generous and will bend over backwards to ensure that guests in their home have the best possible experience and leave feeling like they were treated like family. Needless to say, I try not to take advantage of their generosity and only bring friends home who I know will not only fit in, but truly appreciate the hospitality and effort that goes into such a sincere experience.

Bridie didn’t disappoint us! She not only tried every dish presented to her, she dove in feet first! She held a live crawfish, learned how to peel boiled crawfish and crabs (and ate both with gusto though I think she liked the crawfish better!), tried gumbo and corn & crab soup for the first time. My niece taught her how to drive a 4-wheeler (ATV) and she rode on the back of my brother’s Harley Davidson. We drove way “down da bayou” to Cocodrie to see the shrimp boats parked alongside folks’ houses and to have a cup of coffee at CoCo Marina which just happens to be at the end of the earth (OK, actually the end of South Louisiana!). Now when people say, “I didn’t think there was anything south of New Orleans” she can tell them there is and she’s been there! We took a ride in the boat and she saw coastal living from the bayous – oilfield, fisheries, and residences all living side by side.

Even though I was showing off our way of living to Bridie, it was a great reminder for me to not be too full of myself for traveling around the world. Even though I may feel sophisticated sitting around a fine Italian meal for a few hours talking “shop,” coming home always grounds me. Being in the presence of people who truly enjoy each others’ company and think hours of good food and story telling (filled with laughter) are a worthwhile endeavor always makes me like I’m living – and living well!

Tidbit for life. . . don't use teeth whitening strips and then drink red wine (right Mrs. Paulette?!).

3 comments:

Karen said...

Chris,
Thanks! Yep, you guys were hand-picked, I just didn't want yall to know it at the time!! You'll have to come back to South Louisiana and bring Lisa this time. Even though I haven't met her yet, if she's stayed with you all these years, she's got to be good people (and just a touch crazy like the rest of us)!

Anonymous said...

Man you love to convert Yankees don't ya? Glad to see you are back safe and sound and eaten' some 'Bugs. Man I wish I had gotten down there to hang out while I was in Shreveport; maybe during the summer I'll meet you down there......the 100 lbs. of crawfish looks AWESOME; but where's the moonshine? Hope all is well and enjoy the snow when you get back!

Karen said...

Joe,
That's because Yankees are just beggin for some good country livin! When my 4 year old nephew heard Bridie say that was the first time she had ever eaten gumbo, he said "and how old are you?!"

Shreveport was nothing, yall have to make a trip to Cajun country!