Sunday, January 18, 2009

OBLC- Week 2

Week 2 of OBLC wasn't much different from the first, we're still sitting through numerous Power Point presentations and doing administrative things. I find the information interesting though, so the hours of presentations haven't been bad really. I continue to be amused yet taken aback by some of my classmates' lack of punctuality. I'm not sure what they thought the Army would be like, but some of the new officers don't seem to understand that not being in the designated place at the designated time is not an option! So far there hasn't been much consequence for the tardiness, but we'll see what week 3 brings.

In the midst of all these presentations, one of the assignments was for us to present to our classmates and instructors. I haven't always been so comfortable in front of an audience, but I'm thankful for all the experience I gained at the USOC getting up in front of groups of people to present information. It's gotten easier and easier over the years to the point that I actually enjoy presenting now. Of course, it helps to have an audience that wants the information you're putting out!

PT has picked up a little bit, but still manageable. The company was split into ability groups based on 2-mile run times. I'm at the slower end of the range for my ability group, so I'm expecting my run time to get better over the next few weeks!

Every year my birthday falls on a 3-day weekend (Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day). While here at OBLC, it's a 4-day weekend!! Unbelievable! I had originally submitted a request to go all the way to Louisiana for the weekend, but after a little more consideration, I decided I had too much reading to do and errands to run to make the 8-hour drive each way. Since it's on the way of my originally planned trip and only 3 hours away, I met my brother Dwayne and his girlfriend Jada in Houston. After hearing about her great beach house in Galveston for the last couple of years, I finally got to see it for myself! It's a great retreat in a city that is making a steady recovery from the devastation of the last Gulf Coast hurricane. We celebrated my birthday at a wonderful seafood restaurant called Willie G's. A Blood Mary cocktail left a bit to be desired, but the mixed grill entree of crab cake, broiled shrimp over a creamy risotto and grilled Mahi Mahi that followed made up for the lackluster predinner drink. We laughed and visited our way through the delicious dinner- a great way to spend my birthday!

Dwayne & Jada took off early this morning for a vacation in Mexico and left me in charge of the beach house! My roommate and I get along great, but at 41 years old and having lived alone for many years, I'm enjoying having a house to myself and a little space. I enjoyed a leisurely run along the beach and the gorgeous sunny day afterwards. I've been able to do a little studying and projects and even fit a nap in this afternoon!

I head back to San Antonio tomorrow morning and prepare for my last week of classroom instruction before our training takes us out to the field. I'm still immensely happy with my decision to return to active duty. Although I'm only taking it a day at a time, I'm finding myself more positive about life in general than I have been in a long time. So far, so good. . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Captain,
Glad you got away for a relaxing weekend and now back at the US Army. You will do well in all events. Enjoy each day with your smile and positive attitude.
Joe

Unknown said...

Karen, you look fantastic in your uniform!!!! That picture makes me laugh!!! :)
I guess it was your birthday recently so I hope you had a wonderful bday!
Keep doing awesome, keep writing & I'll keep reading!!!!
-Lauren :)

The Triad Eye Doctor said...

HI Karen,
I found your blog by search. Thanks for the information about OBLC. I will be going in the next year (Rerserve) do you know any details about the differences between the shorter reserves and you guys' longer prgram.
Thanks and Hoooaaaah!!
Terry

Karen said...

Terry,
Sorry, I don't know much about the Reserve side of the house. All I know is that they only joined us for the 3 weeks we were out in the field- not sure what they did at their units before they got to us in San Antonio.

Good luck!