Friday, December 12, 2008

Colorado Springs USOC good-byes

If you every need an ego boost and want to hear good things said about you, just announce that you're leaving!!! As word of my impending departure from the USOC spreads, I have been humbled by the number of emails and phone calls I've received telling me how much I will be missed! Of course the ones who are happy to see you go don't usually email or call, but the sheer number of positive ones I've received gives me hope that I've made more friends than enemies and done more good than harm during my time here!!!

I'm often credited with developing the nutrition program at the USOC. As with any broad-reaching endeavor however, it can hardly be attributed to just one person. I may have initiated the program, but the two Dietitians posing with me in the first pic deserve as much credit as I do. Susie and Adam, along with Terri and Lance have been instrumental in growing the program and ensuring that it's roots were planted firmly enough to weather the current turn-over of personnel. Although Susie & Adam are the only two RDs left, I'm confident that with Terri's continued influence on the program, performance-based nutrition at the USOC with flourish.

After a full day of meetings, Performance Services headed downtown for our annual Christmas party. Kicking off the celebration was the newest naturalized citizen of the U.S. in Performance Services, Susie. In a thickly accented and Aussie-slang-laden speech, Susie lamented my departure but wished me success in my new career. I was presented a US Olympic flag signed by all my coworkers and toasted on to my next adventure. The conversation was lively during the dinner which was quickly followed by the White Elephant exchange. The gift choosing, stealing and bartering was so much fun we often laughed too hard to form complete sentences!

From the Christmas Party, a few of us headed south to the Golden Bee at the Broadmoor to meet up with Lance and Paul (in the pic with me and my yard of beer!). This pub was assembled in the 1960s next to the Broodmoor hotel using panels and fixtures shipped over from a 19th century English pub. I don't know where the name Golden Bee came from, but the waitresses throw embroidered bee patches that stick to you!

Another fun feature of the pub is the ragtime piano player. It reminded me a lot of the dueling piano bar at Pat O'Brien's in New Orleans. The enthusiastic piano player will crank out whatever song you want to sing along to; everything from Margarittaville to New York, New York which Zach and Steve happen to be dancing to in this pic! We sang, laughed, relived Olympic experiences, drank and ate oysters on the half shell as the night slipped by.

Even though the meetings continued for the rest of the week, I headed back to San Diego yesterday to continue wrapping things up here. Before leaving for the airport, the T&T team had a final lunch together with me off complex. As I turned to walk away from my team for the last 2 years, April commented "and then there were four." With the departure of Vinny and myself, the T&T team is down to just Peter, John, April & Zach (in the pic on the Olympic pathway).

I'm typing this post from my apt. on Coronado awaiting my doctor's appt. I started to catch a cold or something prior to leaving for the Springs and all the festivities pushed me over the edge. With so much to get done before I go home for the holidays, I need to be 100% as I wrap up my life in California. Wish me luck that I shake this thing quick and am productive for the rest of the weekend! Hmm, probably could've done without the yards of beer. . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was great to see you again! Had a blast at the Bee,I am not sure if I like the whole raw oyster thing yet or not! Good luck in the Military you will be missed and I look forward to the invite for some good old crawfish in LA one day!