Sunday, August 03, 2008

A lazy Sunday

I know, I know, I've been slacking! My dad even gave me a hard time today about not posting when I made my weekly phone call home! Honestly, I've just been working and haven't had anything new and exciting to post about. There's been some interesting things going on at work, but ya'll know I don't post about work per se and I try to keep as much non-travel related work out of my posts as possible. Since I haven't traveled in a couple of weeks, that leaves me without adventures to post about.

Just to prove to you that my life sounds way more interesting on this blog than it really is most of the time. . . here's my Sunday for you:

Slept in until 7:00 a.m. For me, that's a two hour delay of my day!

Cup of coffee, piece of toast, followed by a 5 mile run on the beach.

Came back and made a killer omelet for breakfast (garlic, green onions, summer squash, zucchini, & sun-dried tomatoes). Just so my dad doesn't give my mom a hard time, that omelet was 3 egg whites and ONE whole egg!

Took a shower. Contemplated a nap. Peeked out the window and discovered a bright sunny, beach worthy day (doesn't happen as often as you'd think in Southern California!). Decided to nap on the beach.

Finished the book Freakonomics between two hours of napping on the beach.

Came back to my apt., took a shower and made a peanut butter & jelly sandwich (my favorite sandwich, but only with strawberry jelly!). Felt like I still needed to be outside, so took my beach cruiser bicycle out for a spin around the island.

Made some phone calls, headed down to the park for the Sunday evening concert.

Back at my apt., sauteed some shrimp and garlic, tossed with spring greens and cherry tomatoes, perfect summer supper.

OK, now that should prove that my life isn't always planes, trains, automobiles and passports! I've actually been savoring the relative calm of the last couple of weeks. Most of the athletes and my colleagues are in China, so I'm getting a lot of stuff done that's been pushed to a back burner for a while. I've learned to roll with the ebb and flow of work life. When competitions and preparations are hot and heavy, I put my nose down and get it done. I'm finally learning though that when there's a relative lull in activity to slow down, pick my head up and smell the gardenias again (smell much better than roses!).

That's all I've got for now. A week from Monday, I'll be heading out to our Lake Placid training center to work with the women's ice hockey team. Unfortunately, even though I'll be in Bridie's neck of the woods, I won't get to see her this trip. She'll be in Alaska for her brother's wedding!

Hope everyone had as relaxing of a weekend as I had and that the week finds you productive and content!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, babes! Your family down here in good old LA like hearing about your lazy days as well as the more exciting ones.

Just a brief note to thank you for linking Voice of the Wetlands. You might like to know that besides the big Morganza Levee project (which is hurricane protection), there are at least two other smaller projects going, which are marsh restoration projects, in Terrebonne Parish and one of them is smack dab in the camps neck of the woods, or er bayou. Yep, a couple of drag lines and three huge marsh buggy excavators and a few air boats are at work as we speak. We are excited! We'll have land again and that's reassuring. I know you haven't been out there in a while but it had gotten really bad due to erosion caused by all the storms (just like everywhere else along the Gulf Coast).

We are waiting for the big dredge to come through and start the pumping of the Lake Mechant sandbar into the surrounding areas.

The project will take more than a year and is expected to build up several hundred acres of marshland.

Sorry, didn't mean to go on and on but this project has been in the makes for 15 years. Those wheels move very slow but it's finally here. Yipee!

Keep up the blogging. I love reading it.

Love ya, sweetie,
Aunt Cynt

Karen said...

I'm so happy to hear something is finally being done back there. When talking about childhood places, it's always so hard to articulate what the family "camp" really is! Hands down, that boat-accessible only home is one of my favorite places on earth! Where else can you eat all the fresh seafood you can stand (that you caught yourself), water ski all day, nap in a hammock, then play cards while running shrimp all night surrounded by immediate and extended family who all happen to be master story-tellers?!

Thanks for following my blog, I feel closer to home knowing that my family is still part of my daily life!

balatico said...

hi karren nice blog!!!.