Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Beach Volleyball

On Thursday evening, I flew out to Los Angeles for a couple of days to attend the AVP Long Beach Open. For two full days, I watched some very talented athletes compete in one of many stops on the pro beach volleyball tour. The travel schedule is pretty hectic as is the tournament play schedules. Have you ever tried to run and jump in soft sand? If so, you can appreciate the athleticism needed to play this sport!

For this particular event, the finals were televised live, so the women were competing almost continuously on Friday in order to get to their finals on Sat. The men were a bit more spread out since their televised finals were on Sunday.

I don't think I had ever been to a sporting event that was being televised live (other than the Olympics I think). It certainly changes the dynamics and tempo of the game. There was a replay after every play as well as some pauses for TV breaks. The announcer also did a great job of whipping the crowds into cheering frenzies that I'm sure must've looked great on TV!

I know quite a few of my guy friends out there are probably very disappointed that I'm not posting more pics of the actual volleyball action, including players in beach attire. I try very hard not to exploit my position with the USOC by posting pictures of or discussing information that I've been privy to while doing my job. The USOC recently unveiled a campaign called "Amazing Awaits." The following words might help you to understand what it's like to work at the USOC:

Amazing Awaits

where we least expect it,
or after training for it all our lives.

it awaits in 1500 meters,
in two-hundredths of a second,
in our courageous first steps,
and with our every last breath.

it awaits on the shoulders of our teammates,
in the footsteps of our heroes,
when we shatter records,
and our spirits prove unbreakable.

amazing awaits
when a small-town playground takes us
to the world's stage,
and when that distance is measured in effort.
when hope makes us hopefuls,
and bravery carries us on her back.

it awaits when we cross finish lines,
and when the journey has just begun.
when we come from nothing, from nowhere,
over hurdles, over mountains.

amazing awaits in our Olympians.
in all Americans.
in the honor of victory
and the glory of pursuit.

it awaits when we work hard enough,
want badly enough,
and refuse to say we've had enough.

with a nation behind us,
with a world before us,
and within us all . . .

Amazing Awaits.

I've been around the block enough times to realize that mine isn't the only job that can be inspired by these words, that's why I chose to share them here. We all touch lives during the course of our day. At the USOC, we inspire through sport. You may inspire through leadership, the arts or technical ability. However you're able to inspire, I hope you chose to be a positive impact on those around you and always help others to reach their potential. Whether its an Olympic medal, coming home safe and sound from a successful deployment, or raising those that will become our future, know that amazing awaits each and every one of us.

Wow, this ended up being a much deeper post than I had intended! Guess I'm getting philosophical in my old age!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

don't get to ahead of yourself aumt Karen. your philosophy isn't quite there yet. Love ya, Philip