Friday, July 13, 2007

Adam's Mountain Cafe'

For Philip's last night here, we decided to go to Manitou Springs for dinner and for Philip to look for a dream catcher. We set out looking for a small cafe' at which I had eaten a few years ago called Adam's Mountain Cafe'. At first we couldn't find it and then I remembered hearing on the radio once that it had moved. Philip was purchasing his dream catcher as I asked the cashier about the new location for Adam's. As luck would have it, it was right behind the store and arcade!






I can't even begin to describe how great the food was here! This first picture is of our half-eaten appetizer, Crostini with figs and pears. It looked so good that we dug right in and forgot that I had my camera with me! This dish was house baked herb crackers (but they were soft, the way I like them!), accompanied by roasted figs (although I think they were actually dried figs), braised spinach, caramelized onions, Colorado goat cheese, candied pecans, fresh pears and grated Romano cheese.

For the main entree, Philip ordered smoked salmon fettuccine. This was the third time during his week stay at my house that Philip had salmon! I love salmon too, but I'm not crazy about anything smoked. Anyway, here's the description: house smoked salmon tossed with fresh fettuccine in a light dill and dry vermouth cream sauce finished with fresh thyme, capers and asiago cheese.



I had soup and salad. I know this implies that I was eating light, but don't be fooled! The soup was a cup of Cuban black bean soup with a dollop of sour cream on top. The salad (last pic) was a fresh pear and pecan salad: organic mixed greens tossed lightly with candied pecans, fresh pears, Colorado goat cheese and dressed with an apple brandy vinaigrette. This salad, the black bean soup and Philip's salmon fettuccine were served with sunflower wheat rolls.


This meal was great, but do you know what the best part of it was? I discovered that Philip is a foodie too!! He wasn't intimidated in the least by foods he had never eaten and was actually delighted with the strange new combinations of taste and texture. I'm so excited that he has an adventurous palate like me! I definitely see some food excursions in our future!


At noon today, Philip flew away from his last vacation here in Colorado (with me anyway!). He said good-bye to a naked Pikes Peak (no snow right now!) and to my VW Fox! My transfer date to our training center in Chula Vista, CA (just south of San Diego) has been set for November 1. Unfortunately, I'll still have to go through a couple of snow falls before I move on, but I won't have to go through another full-fledged winter!

No comments: