Monday, November 10, 2008

Happy Veterans Day

OK, so Veterans Day isn't officially until tomorrow, but I have today off from work so I'm celebrating the holiday today! I love the symbology of the date (eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month) that marks the armistice (temporary cessation of hostilities) between the Allied Nations and Germany of World War I. Although the Treaty of Versailles in 1919 marked the official end to "The Great War" Armistice Day on November 11, 1918 is generally considered the end of the "war to end all wars." Over the years, what was once known as Armistice Day is now known as Veterans Day here in the U.S. I also really like this holiday because it's one day apart from my dad's birthday who also happens to be a veteran! For some great old pics of my dad & I and a few of the USS Midway, check out my previous Veterans Days posts from 2006 and 2007.

The 3-day weekend started off with some bayou entertainment in downtown San Diego. For the third year in a row, I saw Tab Benoit perform out West! If you're not familiar with his music, click on these links for a little taste of Cajun Blues. The fun, rhythmic guitar on Night Train and up-beat tune of Fever for the Bayou makes my body move no matter what mood I'm in while When a Cajun Man Gets the Blues tugs at my soul when I'm aching for the bayou. Not only has this Houma native been nominated for a Grammy, he's also president of Voice of the Wetlands, a non-profit organization dedicated to raising awareness about the coastal erosion problem in south Louisiana. Go to the website and learn that the flooding isn't just the wrath of Mother Nature directed at the residents of the Louisiana Gulf Coast, it's a predominately man-made problem that will affect the whole country if allowed to continue. The unique hospitality, culture, customs, language, food and music of Cajun country are in real danger of extinction so please take a moment to learn how the loss of this land impacts the rest of the nation.

The rest of the weekend has involved visiting the beach, riding my Harley around and hanging out with Whit & Kathie. With only weeks left to go before the twins arrive, our days of hanging out on the sofa eating, drinking and watching movies are numbered! Looking forward to the arrival of Cal (Caldwell) and Naomi!!

To all my active duty and veteran friends. . . Happy Veterans Day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Veterans Day to you Ms Karen.
Enjoy the followship with your friends out west.
After twins come you can help babysit.
Be safe and smile often.
Fair Winds and Following Seas.
Joe (USN Ret ATCS)

8rmine said...

I'm so happy that you were able to get out and ride, jealous as hell also. ;-) Cooler temps and snow have made Colorado look more like the winter playland that its supposed to be. Sun shining today and more cleaning to do. Enjoy the riding, I'll be wishing I was there with you!

Love Ya! Suz~