Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

Another Thanksgiving come and gone! I ushered in the day by landing in New Orleans just around midnight. My mom has been cooking up a storm for days, so I went to bed with smells of the feast to come. After a cup of coffee and a quick run, I was surrounded by family and food for the rest of the day!

As you can see in this picture, the "kids" are all getting big. I have 3 nephews and a niece ranging in ages from 20 to 5 years old. In the dark and white striped shirt on the left of the photo is Andy who is 20 and somewhere around 6 feet tall and the tall lanky guy on the right is his brother Philip who is 16 and about to 6'3". I'm not sure how tall Julia is (at the end of the table) at 10 years old, but she definitely has the family trademark long lean legs. Although I've taken to pronouncing my last name as "day-gull" over the years for ease of understanding, here in Louisiana it's pronounced "deg". Folks always comment when they see an offspring of the Daigle clan that it's obvious that the kid belongs to our family because they have "deg legs"!!!

And it takes a lot of food to feed this tall family! Although I had moved up to the adult table at some point in my life (probably back when I was married), it's been quite some time now that I've been assigned back to the kids' table. From the smiles on our faces, you can see that I don't mind one bit sitting at the kids' table with Julia! Our family is filled with story-tellers and jokesters, so meals are always a lively event. I don't know if it's the jovial energy expended while dining that makes us all so tired or the overindulgence prompted by the day, but we always end up reclining in some capacity shortly thereafter! Usually everyone is sprawled across sofas and on the floor in the living room, but the weather was so beautiful today (mid-70s!) that we moved the rest-fest under the carport to enjoy the breeze and visit.

It seemed like we were just finished digesting when it was time to move on to the next house on the itinerary for Thanksgiving supper. After more visiting and eating at Dean's house with his family, we're back at my parents' house and hanging out for the evening. What a great, leisurely day filled with love & laughter!

I hope that everyone's day was as peaceful and filled with family as mine was and that it's not hard to think of things for which to be thankful. My brother returns tomorrow from Texas with the rest of his family so I'm sure I'll have more to post about over the next few days before I return to the West Coast on Sunday.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you had a happy Thanksgiving. We stayed around the house and I made my best tasting turkey to date, still haev left overs. Hope all is well with you.