Sunday, September 28, 2008

Taking a deep breath. . .

There's a great country & western song by Alabama called "I'm in a hurry." Yes, I've circled back around to my country roots and enjoy the twangy tunes again! Anyway, here's the first verse:

I'm in a hurry to get things done
Oh I rush and rush until life's no fun
All I really gotta do is live and die
But I'm in a hurry and don't know why

Sometimes out of nowhere I'll start humming this song and realize that I have been rushing around trying to accomplish things that, if I'm really honest with myself, are things that aren't really worth me stressing out over to get done. So, when I woke up early Saturday morning for my beach run with this song swirling around in my head, I decided to give myself a break. Even without an alarm, I'm an early-riser (comes from both sides of my family). I'm not one for laying around in bed once I'm awake, so even without an alarm clock to jump start my day, I usually end up getting an early start no matter what day it is. I jumped out of bed Saturday morning and proceeded through the motions of habit. . . start coffee brewing, pull on some workout clothes, check email, blah, blah, blah. I started the coffee then stopped in front of my dresser and just didn't feel like pulling out the running shorts. I went through a quick 30 second debate in my head about just getting it done without wasting too much thought over it, but decided that I just wasn't feeling a workout. I was still feeling the beach though, so I pulled on some jeans and a sweatshirt and strolled over to the beach where I sat on a bench and watched the early morning waves roll in through the misty fog. I sat out there long enough to watch the marine layer burn off to reveal a group of surfers whose territory was being dive-bombed for breakfast by a flock of pelicans. I never cease to be amazed by what's all around us if we just stop to take it in.

On a separate tangent, I got a random phone call from my dad Friday morning letting me know that a family friend was in my neck of the woods. Mr. Billy and my dad went to school together and the kids of each of the men have grown up around each other. I hadn't seen Nicole (Mr. Billy's first borne) in probably 15 years, so I was excited to get together with her and her husband Tim. Man, it's not everyday that I'm given to laugh that loud and that often! A few margaritas and some really good Mexican food mixed together with good company is a recipe for a great night! Nicole has the pictures on her camera, so I'll add one to this post when I get them from her. Hopefully they captured the fun and laughter of the evening better than I can describe with words!

Have a great week honey and come on back when ya'll git a chance (oh, that Cajun accent snuck back in after a few hours with my Bayou Blue connection!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Karen,
You can travel the whole world but the roots you come from are deep and lasting. Glad You had a good visit with family.friends.

Love,MOM