Friday, November 10, 2006

Birthdays and Veterans

November 10 is not only the observed day for Veteran's Day, it is also my Dad's birthday!! It's getting close to the Thanksgiving-Christmas-New Years holidays and I'm itching to go home, so I thought I'd be a little nostalgic in my blog post today!

That good looking guy in the old Navy photos is my Dad back in the day! When people find out I was in the Navy, they usually ask me why I chose the Navy over other services. I could tell you things like the Navy was the only one who would guarentee me a school in writing or that I love the water, but the overriding factor was. . . because my Daddy was in the Navy!!!

I was a Daddy's girl growing up. As you can see from the picture, my habit of twirling my hair goes way back!! I was a huge tomboy and my poor brother and male cousins had to put up with me tagging along with them all the time! I suppose since I never did anything traditional-like anyway, it made perfect sense for me to go into the Navy!!

As it turns out, my Dad and I did similar jobs in the Navy. He worked on electronics on ships, and I worked on electronics on airplanes. If you look real hard in the crew standing in front of the plane, I'm standing second from the right (the lone chick!). Two of my best friends are also in the picture (Jim is standing next to me, third from the right, and Dave is 6th from the left). That picture was taken on Christmas Eve 1995 right before we flew a mission.

So on this day, I'm wishing my Daddy a Happy Birthday as well as a Happy Veteran's Day. To all those I served with, whether a civilian or still on active duty now, I thank you for your service and wish you a Happy Veteran's Day too. It matters not whether you served in peace or war time, you volunteered to lead a life that wasn't always easy or conducive to a happy home life. Be proud of the time you served and for not taking the easy road!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Veteran's Day Karen. I knew when I met you that you where a kindred spirit. Like Father, Like Daughter! Even though I didn't stay I still follow you via this blog. You go girl!

Karen said...

Hey Rita!!
Thanks so much for the post! We miss you around the USOC, but knowing that you are getting so much more family time makes it easier. I'm happy to know that you still follow my adventures!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dad!!!!! That 6th guy from the left is alot better looking these days. I sure miss those days Sunshine. Dave