Saturday, September 23, 2006

Tropical fruits

One of the best things about being on a tropical island is being able to get the freshest tropical fruit anywhere!! There's a section of the North Shore sprinkled with various stands stocked with tropical fruits. Monica and I stopped at this one stand in the picture 2 or 3 times during our stay. The mangos and papaya were so fresh and tasty, my mouth is watering just thinking about it now!

We were adventurous and branchced out by buying a few exoctic fruits with our staple of mangos and papaya. I had had dragon fruit during my trip to Beijing, but it was already cut up when it was served, so I had no idea it was so pink on the outside and huge (slightly bigger than a canned vegetable)! The taste and consistency is very similar to kiwi fruit and is delicious!

The other exoctic fruit we tried was introduced to us by my friend Nanna who was also at the conference. That red and black prickly fruit is called rambutan. Once you finally pierce the tough outer coating, the inside is kind of like a very dense grape. The whole thing is a little bigger than a walnut. It had a very sweet, honey-like taste.

I can only post 5 pics at a time, so I broke up all the awesome seafood we ate from the fruits. I'll do another post with those!

No comments: