Sunday, April 26, 2009

The end of an era

After much deliberation, I have decided that I will discontinue this travel blog. I have thoroughly enjoyed posting about my adventures over the last three years. I've felt closer to my family and friends since starting this blog, it's been a great way for them to remain a part of my life and me a part of theirs through comments and the numerous emails spurred by blog posts. With my career change however, I've decided that this much transparency is no longer appropriate. Not that I post about work things very often, but I don't want to be the one who provides pieces of a seemingly innocent puzzle that produces a potentially harmful "big picture" (either to the mission or to myself). And for all you conspiracy-theorists out there. . . NO, the military did not tell me I could no longer do this blog!

And so it is with somewhat reluctant hands that I type this last post. It's been a great learning experience for me on many levels- writing, photography, societal dynamics, website organization, photo-journaling, etc. I hope that I will be able to pick up this hobby again at a later point, perhaps in a different format or focus. I will leave this web address active for a while longer until I decide what I want to do with it. It always amazes me to see the page load counter climb as folks check in to see what I've done or have to say (it's currently over 28,000)! Thanks for everyone who has been checking in on my adventures and providing support along the way!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a hard one to swallow!!! We all love it so much and you're right that it makes us all feel connected in one way or another. Even with the friends we have yet to meet through these posts. I guess we will all have to put money into a collection piggy bank for monthly newsletters!!!!! Love you lots!!! Monica

Anonymous said...

- sorry to see it go -

i found your blog when i was doing a search for OBLC - and your week-by-week account was *very* informative

(and good on you for keeping the harley in the garage and the car in the driveway)

take care

Rob said...

Karen,

I'll miss the updates, but understand the reasoning. Be sure to keep in touch by e-mail! Nice job on your place and thanks for the tip on the canvas--just got a couple more myself from a Florida trip.

Rob

Anonymous said...

Hi Hon,
(sniff) I'm just crushed! I understand why you are stopping the blog but we will miss hearing about you. If you start up a family newsletter or something, please, add our name to the list.
Luv ya, babes
Aunt Cynt

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed your blog so much!! Felt like I was keeping up with an old friend-I guess I was. Hopefully one day you'll resume your blogs. Your new house looks great--love the pics--might use that photo web site myself. Thanks for all the useful info. Good luck with your new job!!!
Monique Moorman Foti

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me? Be part of the life of "the" most authentic person on the face of this earth has been a treasured gift....irreplaceable. Keep true to your heart!
-Eric Winston ewinston70@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog since I'm in the ANCP program and will be going to OBLC March 2010. I appreciate you sharing all this information! It has really helped me get a "feel" for what it will be like! janeshia_0509@live.com

Anonymous said...

I'm actually interested in becoming a military dietitian myself and this blog has given me great insight of what to expect if I'm selected. I stumbled on it while looking up things to expect at OBLC... I instantly fell in love with your story and wish you all the best! I hope to follow in your footsteps. Not many male RD's out there, so I hope to make a big splash! lol
Take care and thank you for the inspiration!
Ron. M

Anonymous said...

I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this
post was great. I don't know who you are but certainly you
are going to a famous blogger if you aren't already ;) Cheers!


My web page webpage ()