Sunday, June 22, 2008

Family in town!

By the time Monica & Philip's delayed flight finally landed last night I had already had a full on day. I met up with a Navy buddy from my first squadron that I hadn't seen in 15 years and one of his friends and we rode for almost 8 hours! It was HOT out, upper 90s for the whole day. Although they kept jokingly referring to me as the princess of the group, the title was transferred to the guys as they kept whining about the heat! Although sweating buckets and sticky from so much sunscreen, I was perfectly content riding in a tank top (yep, I've got quite the mish-mash tan going on from the last week!) and soaking in the sun. I stayed true to my mantra- I'd rather sweat than freeze any day!

Finally, around 9:30 pm I navigated the rental car through the maze of San Diego airport and picked up the two wayward Cajuns! Although I'm quite content not owning a car, it does come in handy to have four wheels when you have more than one guest in town. Plus, Philip had already stated he didn't want to ride on the back! At 16 years old, he's already 6'3" so he would've looked pretty funny riding two-up anyway (I'm refraining from using the slang term for someone riding on the passenger seat since this is a family-friendly blog!).

We started off the morning driving up to Point Loma, but it quickly became apparent that today was not a good day to stay on the coast. The warm weather we've been experiencing here in southern California mixed with the characteristically cold Pacific water and produced thick fog that reduced visibility to less than 10 miles. No worries, we switched to Plan B and headed south-east towards desert.

After tooling around in the desert heat for the morning, we headed back towards the coast thinking that the fog would've burned off by early afternoon. That wasn't the case as we found ourselves surrounded once again in thick condensation hanging in the air. To Philip's relief, the closer we got to the ocean the cooler it got. What it is with guys and their aversion to heat?! Without bright sunshine beckoning us to the beach, we decided to tour the town of Coronado. As you can see from these pics, dessert crepes were on the afternoon agenda. So for those of you who have emailed to inform me that I've been slacking on food pics, here you go!

Philip opted out, but Monica and I attended the Coronado concert in the park where the San Diego Marine Corp band played tonight. We all ended the day with supper at a great little Mexican restaurant with a stop off at the local gelato shop on the walk home. Not sure what tomorrow will bring, the weather will decide which direction we head.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

kudos to whoever took this picture of phil upclose for making my boyfriend and your nephew look like a fairy :)

Karen said...

Jessica,
Your boyfriend does not look like a fairy, he looks like a guy who is enjoying his vacation! You'll get him back next week, don't worry!

Aunt Karen