Sunday, March 23, 2008

Pollution & "Blue Sky Days"

It's really hard to describe the pollution in Beijing. Most people who have not been there assume that we are being melodramatic or exaggerating the pollution situation. So I thought I'd post some "before & after" shots to give you a feel for the magnitude of this problem. Each set of pics was taken out of the same window from the hotel in which we stayed.

The first in each set was taken on March 17 (Monday) and was pretty typical of everyday we spent in Beijing. The second pic in each set was taken on March 23 (Sunday) the morning we left. This was my third trip to China and it was the first time I had experienced a true "Blue Sky Day" as the locals call it.







Different window.














As you can see, Beijing looks and feels like a completely different city depending on the air quality. We're hoping for those seconds pics come August 8, 2008!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I guess if I had not grown up around the crabs, crawfish and oysters I would have the same reactions to our food as what I felt looking at or even thinking of those bugs and all.My hat is off to you for trying it. My mind could not wrap around it all in the first place to even get it close to my mouth.

I hope the air quality will be on the clear side for August for every ones health.

Can't wait to see you in a few weeks. MOM