Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Down in Texas!

Finally, something fun to post about! Last week I got out of Colorado before the snow started falling again and went down to Austin, TX for a conference. I arrived in time for a couple of days of 80 degree temps before the cold front moved in and dropped the temp about 20 degrees for my last few days in Texas.

I took a day of personal time to take a look around Austin since I had never been there before. The city itself has some great eateries and sculptures along the river. Austin is also known for it's Blues music scene. I didn't get to go out at night and listen to any Blues, but I did happen across this memorial to Stevie Ray Vaughn that was kinda cool.

Austin also has all these awesome guitars scattered around downtown and along the river. They are painted up all different and are pretty unique. I was trying to take my friends back to a great little Italian gelato place I had found and kept saying "it's by the guitar sculpture" before I realized the guitars were everywhere! No fear, we still found the gelato shop (you know I can always find good food!).


On my little sightseeing excursion, I went to the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. I had to call my mom while I was walking around the gardens because I knew she would've loved to see it. The bluebonnets and tons of other wildflowers were in bloom. I must've walked around for 3-4 hours before I finally drove down to San Antonio where I was to give a presentation at Fort Sam Houston.

The presentation for the Army RDs went well and I really enjoyed being back on a military base (I know, I'm such a geek!). During the conference in Hawaii last year, I was randomly introduced to a woman named Ann. Someone heard that I was in the Navy and said "hey, do you know Ann, she's in the military too, in the Army I think." It's so funny how civilians think that everyone who's in, or ever been in, the military must know each other! Anyway, from this random meeting I was invited to come down and speak to a class of students going through an Army M.S./ Dietetic internship program. I now have a new friend and a great collaboration between our organizations. Ann was a gracious host and I had a great time meeeting her team of staff and students.
It was a good conference and I got to spend time with shakers and movers of the Sport Nutrition world. As you can see from this picture of Susie, Peggy, me, Ann and Nanna, we also fit in some eatin!

Hopefully the weather will straighten up and fly right pretty soon so I'll have something to post more often. So watch the weather and tune in when the weather looks nice!

No comments: